October 29, 2007

About Us

Restoring Angeles City’s Glorious Past

The City of Angeles, being progressive as it is, seemed to lack something that would make today’s generation appreciate their roots to further take pride in being Angeleños. Awareness and concern for the city’s unique history and its rich cultural heritage were almost synonymous to non-existent.

There were several attempts to address this pressing need for a cultural vehicle. The ‘80s witnessed the birth of the Angeles City Historical Society, who took the bold step to initiate the goal of restoring what was left of Angeles City’s heritage. Only to be met with little enthusiasm and support, its efforts eventually became futile.

As time seems to stand still, the need to sow the seed essential to nurture and cultivate the Angeleños’ spirit through a cultural display of heritage amidst the blessings of successful trade and commerce became all the more apparent.

A newly revitalized group emerged as many members representing a true cross-section of the city’s populace, members of respected families, business scions, local government officials as well as history buffs organized themselves to create Kuliat Foundation, Incorporated (KFI).

Taken from Angeles City’s former town name, “Kuliat,” which was a type of indigenous vine that grew abundantly in the area during its founding, Kuliat Foundation, Inc. was officially registered under the Securities and Exchange Commission in March 1999. With a 50-year renewable usufruct agreement with the city government under its belt, KFI now holds office at the Old City Hall Building, situated in the heart of the Sto. Rosario Historic District, whose recognition as such was initiated by KFI itself.

KFI is a non-stock, non-profit organization whose absolute purpose is to preserve the history, culture, and traditions of Angeles City through the development and promotion of historical, cultural, educational, environmental, social and economic plans, programs and projects for the Angeleños. Its Board of Trustees is headed by Hon. Mayor Carmelo F. Lazatin as Founding Chairman with Architect Orencio L. Henson as Executive Director and Mrs. Eloisa R. Narciso as Founding President. Other members of the Board of Trustees are Ms. Hannah Y. Bauzon, Mr. Daniel H. Dizon, Sr., Mrs. Josefina D. Henson, Mrs. Carmen T. McTavish, Mrs. Macrina L. Moreno, Mrs. Rosalie H. Naguiat, Mr. Marc D. Nepomuceno, Mr. Gerry T. Nepomuceno, Mr. Jose G. Paras, Jr. and Mrs. Ramona L. Ty.

At present, the major sustenance of the Museo comes from the annual ‘Tigtigan Terakan keng Dalan’ celebration, a two night revelry along the 1 km. stretch of Balibago. This highly anticipated festivity is considered as the lifeblood of KFI for it is the Foundation’s main source of subsidy. Alongside is the creation of Museo ning Angeles (MNA), the premier cultural center and the first living community museum of its kind in the city. Mr. Jose “Jiji” Paras, Jr. serves as the Museo Director.

December 08, 1999 witnessed the soft opening of the Museo ning Angeles. Its pilot exhibit was aptly titled “Memorias ning Angeles,” as it featured a collection of photographs, artworks, artifacts and other mementos of Angeles town and its people. The exhibit ran for two months and was well received by both local and foreign residents and tourists.

In spite of its limited funds, KFI took a bolder step to renovate the circa 1920 edifice to its former glory, immediately after the opening exhibit. From mid-February to early June, the former government offices that used to be housed in the old municipio were converted to The Museo Shop, the lobby area and the KFI Administration Office.

The Museo Shop is now open for business. There are plenty of export-quality product lines proudly made by the Angeleños’ ingenuity and craftsmanship. Ideal and useful souvenir items are for sale at factory prices. A weekly guided tour of Angeles City is also being offered at the shop.

The entire second floor metamorphosed to the Main Exhibit Hall. Non-original structures surrounding the building were demolished to add more dignity to its overall appearance. Now the original azotea figures prominently from the outside perspective. As the complete renovation may take years to be realized, KFI’s initiative will attempt to shorten the waiting period by getting the Angeleños involved any which way they can. For the Museo ning Angeles was built by the Angeleños for the Angeleños. A sense of ownership and responsibility towards the Museo should become apparent among the townspeople in the years to come.

Other projects of the MNA include the Philippine Independence Day celebration in June 12, 1999. This event was a major spectacle of reenactment of that historical epoch complete with periodic costumes. Unknown to many, June 12, 1899 marks the first and only Philippine Independence Day celebration in the country’s history led by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo. It was held at the Don Pamintuan Mansion (now the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Regional Office) here in the city, where the revolutionary Philippine government was temporarily seated then.

Another MNA project was the revival of the traditional art of bell-ringing of the century-old campanile of yet another historic landmark, the Holy Rosary Parish Church, located in front of the Museo ning Angeles. Billed as “Pasibayu, Tigtig La Ding Cumpana!”, old folks from the city once again experienced the nostalgia and the enchanting sound of our cumpana, as composed by Spanish Augustinian Friar-Curates starting 1877. While the youth on the other hand, witnessed this momentous event as their forefathers did then.

The new millennium’s Independence Day celebration in Angeles was capped by the formal inauguration of the Museo ning Angeles. Intensive preparations was done for its second exhibit entitled “Angeles: Napun at Ngeni.” Educational in scope, this exhibit narrated in pictures and memorabilias the history and evolution of Angeles from its humble beginnings as Barrio Culiat of San Fernando Town to its present status of a first class city of 290,437 as of May 1999.

Complementing the exhibit was one of Museo’s permanent exhibit, the Angeles City Hall of Fame. Spectators drew inspiration as they got acquainted to a few Angeleños who have excelled in serving the city and have made significant contributions through their different fields of endeavor, which to this day have yet to be matched.

Coinciding with this year’s annual twin fiesta was another exhibit entitled, “Ing Kusinang Matua.” Audience got a feel as they walk through this exhibit of the Capampangan “Kitchen of Yore” in action. This boasts of original cooking utensils and paraphernalia. Pampanga, famous for its culinary arts and cuisine, has always regarded the kitchen as the heart of the home. This story-telling exhibit ran from October 06 to November 30, 2000.

Still at its infancy stage, Kuliat Foundation, Inc., alongside its pet project, the Museo ning Angeles, promises a renaissance of the old good ways of the Angeleños, with the youth sector as its primary thrust for values and cultural awareness.

(NOTE: Various exhibits and events have been hosted by the Museo from 2000 hence forth. Please refer to the other pages of this website)


Building of Museo ning Angeles

The Museo ning Angeles (MnA) is the nucleus of activity of the Kuliat Foundation, Inc. Located in the oldest historical district of the city, the MnA has become the venue of the city’s cultural activities be it from the private or government sector. From the time it opened in the year 1999, it has been a beehive of activity from exhibits, art classes, concerts, venue for performances and climax for traditional celebrations.

Museo ning Angeles is a priceless asset., vintage circa 1920, the building is a museum piece by itself , located at the prime Sto. Rosario Historic District across the Holy Rosary Cathedral. This edifice was constructed in 1922 and served as the “ MUNICIPIO” or Town Hall. The original Town Hall was constructed in 1840, then known as “LA CASA TRIBUNAL” and was a typical “BAHAY NA BATO” with a thatched roof. Its location was about 20 yards to the south of the present structure since the present site was the town “PALENQUE” or Public Market place. In 1855 the market place was razed down by a great fire that endangered the wooden church and the old residences along Sto. Rosario Street, including the “LA CASA TRIBUNAL”.

The museum is rightly located at the center stretch of the historical street of Sto. Rosario. While facing the centuries old twin towered Holy Rosary Church, it is flanked alternately by other equally old and quaint ancestral houses and buildings.

Floor Plans:

Ground Floor Plan 01


Second Floor Plan 02

Founding Board of Trustees

KFI Founding Board by Angeles City Museum

Hon. Mayor Carmelo F. Lazatin
Founding Chairman

Architect Orencio L. Henson
Executive Director

Mrs. Eloisa R. Narciso

Ms. Hannah Y. Bauzon
Mr. Alejandro
Mr. Daniel H. Dizon
Mrs. Josefina D. Henson
Mrs. Carmen T. McTavish
Mrs. Macrina L. Moreno
Mrs. Rosalie H. Naguiat
Mr. Marc D. Nepomuceno
Mr. Gerry T. Nepomuceno
Mr. Jose G. Paras, Jr.
Mrs. Ramona L. Ty.

KFI Officers


Executive Committee 2008-2009

Carmen Tayag McTavish

Jose G. Paras, Jr.

Annette D. Tinio

Dr. Aloysius C. Paras
Corporate Secretary

Board of Trustees
Claude S. Tayag
Daniel H. Dizon
Maritess C. Sibug
Marco D. Nepomuceno
Mancio Y. Suarez
Paul M. Santos

Rhodora A. Salazar
Executive Assistant

Mission and Vision

Kuliat Foundation Incorporated
shall preserve the history, culture and traditions of
Angeles City
and its people through the development and promotion of historical, cultural, educational, environmental, social and economic plans, programs and
projects for the present and future
generations of Angeleños.


The Museo ning Angeles shall be a relevant and dynamic center for the rich culture and history of Angeles City and its people.

The Museo ning Angeles shall be an efficiently managed and financially viable institution in order to accomplish its goal of instilling pride among the people of Angeles City.

The Museo ning Angeles shall undertake research and translate findings into programs to awaken and educate the people of Angeles, especially the youth, to ensure continuity and sustainability.

Chronicle of Events in the History of KFI

I. Organizational Development:
I.1. November 1998. Appointment of members to the Board of Trustees.

Founding Trustees:
Bauzon, Hannah Y.
De Leon, Alejandro
Henson, Josefina D.
Henson, Orencio L.
Lazatin, Carmelo F.
McTavish, Carmen T.
Moreno, Macrina L.
Naguiat, Rosalie H.
Narciso, Eloisa R.
Nepomuceno, Peter G.
Nepomuceno, Marco D.
Paras, Jose G., Jr.
Ty, Ma. Ramona L.

I.2 January 14,1999. The first Organizational Meeting for Kuliat Foundation was held at the Camalig Restaurant on Sto. Rosario Street. Present were:

Ms. Liza G.Basilio- representing Mrs. Rosalie H. Naguiat.
Ms. Hannah Y. Bauzon
Mr. Orencio L. Henson
Ms. Janet B. Lazatin
Mrs. Carmen T. McTavish
Mrs. Macrina L. Moreno
Mr. Marco D. Nepomuceno
Mrs. Ramona L. Ty

I.3. Feb. 19,1999. Formulation of Objectives, definition of By-Laws.
Kuliat Foundation Incorporated aims to:

a.To preserve the history, culture and traditions of Angeles City through the development and promotion of historical, cultural, educational, environmental and socio-economic plans, programs and projects for the Angelenos and future generations.

b.To receive gifts, legacies, donations, contributions, endorsements and other forms of financial help or loans from any source.

c. To invest or exchange any portion of the donations, revenue, earnings, or capital in the acquisition of shows of stocks or bonds of the other corporations and real estate or other forms of investment and towards this end, to deal in any manner whatever, with any of the holdings, properties, investments in order to attain the objectives and accomplish the purposes of which the corporation is founded.

d. To co-ordinate with other institutions, government and non-government, for the facilitation and achievement of the foundation’s goals and objectives.

I.4. March 4,1999. The Officers for the Executive Committee of the Foundation were unanimously elected;

Founding Chairman- Hon. Carmelo F. Lazatin
President- Engr. Peter G. Nepomuceno
Vice President (Membership Development)- Mr. Marco D. Nepomuceno
Vice President (Special Projects) – Mr. Jose G. Paras, Jr.
Secretary- Mrs. Macrina L. Moreno
Treasurer- Mrs. Rosalie H. Naguiat
Public Relations Officer- Ms. Hannah Y. Bauzon

Similarly, the members of the Working Committees were appointed:

Josefina D. Henson Claude Tayag Ronnie Tayag
Daniel H. Dizon, Sr. Paul Santos Roy del Rosario

Rosalie Naguiat Dan Dizon Mike Pangilinan Paul M. Santos
Marc Nepomuceno Orencio Henson Alex Ocampo Abraham Tayag

Alejandro de Leon Renato Tayag, Jr.

Ramona Lopez Ty Josie Henson Hannah Bauzon Perto Cruz

Carmen T. McTavish Rene Romero Gil Lim

Eloisa R. Narciso Janet Lazatin Gil Lim

I.5. March 12,1999. Approval of Securities and Exchange Commission Incorporation/ Registration of Kuliat Foundation Incorporated. Properly legitimized the existence of the Foundation.
I.6. February 18,2000. Approval and Issuance of Angeles City Mayor’s Permit to operate the former City Hall as a museum.
I.7. March 7,2000. At the Annual Board of Trustees Meeting, a new President to the Executive Committee was elected. Mrs. Eloisa R. Narciso replaced Engr. Peter G. Nepomuceno as President, while Mr. Gerry T. Nepomuceno replaced him as Trustee. Also replaced was Trustee Alejandro de Leon by Mr. Daniel H. Dizon, Sr.

And the Chairs of the Working Committees were similarly voted on:
Cultural Development-Trustee Josefina D. Henson
Historical Research- Trustee Daniel H. Dizon, Sr.
Educational Development- Mr. Renato S. Tayag, Jr.
Environmental Development- Trustee Ramona Lopez Ty
Social Development- Trustee Carmen T. McTavish
Economic Development- Trustee Gerry T. Nepomuceno

I.8. March 20,2000. Registration of Foundation under the Bureau of Internal Revenue.

I.9. April 17, 2000. Approval and Signing of Usufruct Agreement with the City of Government of Angeles, namely, with City Mayor Carmelo F. Lazatin and the members of the City Council, for the use of the former City Hall building on Sto. Rosario Street for no less than Fifty (50) years from the date of signing.

II. Museo ning Angeles Development:
II.1. Infrastructure Development- by September of 1998,except for the Telegraph and the local Bureau of Internal Revenue offices, all local government offices in the former City Hall on Sto. Rosario St. had been transferred to the new City Hall Complex in Pulung Maragul.

II.2. March 1999. Renovation on the former City Assessor’s offices on the South side of the ground floor commences, primarily to house the staff of the Foundation and the Museo ning Angeles.

II.3. August 1999. Museo/Foundation Staff Administration offices are finished.

II.4. September 1999. Datelcom Corporation and Digital Telecommunications Phils. Inc. donated telephone lines with Fax and Internet capabilities for use in the administration offices.

II.5 September 1999. Removal of unnecessary structures and partitions on second floor of Museo building begins with the assistance of the Angeles City Engineer’s Office. Reconstruction and renovation of Second Floor immediately follows.

II.6. December 1999. Preliminary repairs, renovations and re-constructions on Second Floor are finished in time for Museo soft-opening entitled “Memorias ning Angeles”

II.7. February 28, 2000. Museo building is temporarily closed after the duration of the exhibit to continue work on renovations and re-constrcutions.

II.8. March 2000. B.I.R. and Telegraph offices are transferred to the new City Hall in Pulung Maragul.

II.9. April 2000. Conversion of B.I.R office to Museo Shoppe and demolition of Telegraph office and old comfort rooms in the south and north sides, as well as the walling of the Azotea of the second floor. Simultaneously, the construction of exhibition panels for new exhibits commences.

II.10. June 2000. Museo-Shoppe and exhibit panels are finished, additional repair and repainting is made to second floor ceiling and walls.

II.11. August 2000. Construction of Open-Air Theatre commences on Sto. Entierro side of Museo premises. This includes provisions for audience space in the former rock garden on the corner of Museo grounds.

II.12. September 2000. Preliminary work on the Open-Air Theatre is finished. Construction of new exhibit in the Audio-Visual Room on the Ground Floor commences, this is to house the “Ing Kusinang Matua” exhibit.

II. 13. September 25, 2000. Work begins on the “Side-Walk” extension on Museo parking spaces to further maximize parking spaces.

III. Exhibits and Activities of the Foundation and Museo:

III.1. June 12,1999. The Foundation organizes the centennial celebration of the First Anniversary of the Declaration of Philippine Independence in the former home of Don Florentino Pamintuan (now the provincial offices of the Phil. Central Bank).

III.2. Dec. 8, 1999. Museo ning Angeles opens with a soft-opening exhibit entitled “Memorias ning Angeles”(Memories of Angeles), featuring photos , artifacts, mementos, and other old articles from many of the oldest families of Angeles.

III.3. May 7,2000. “Flores de Angeles” organized with the Angeles City Tourism Office (ACTO). The traditional religious procession known as the Santacruzan, culminated with a awarding of the traditional titles to the Sagalas which participated.

III.4. June 12, 2000. Museo ning Angeles opens its Inaugural Exhibit, “Angeles: Napun at Ngeni” (Angeles : Yesterday and Today) featuring enlarged Photographs, Sketches and depictions of the rich and colorful history of Angeles City. Simultaneously, the Angeles’ “Hall of Fame” was opened honoring those who have made the most significant contributions to the improvement of Angeles in all aspects.

III.5. June 13,2000. Repair and re-commissioning of the Holy Rosary Parish Church bells spearheaded by Museo Director Jose G.Paras, Jr. and Mr. Meliton D. Ocampo.

(Future Activities)

III.6. October 2,2000. Kuliat Foundation, Inc. Thanksgiving Mass followed by breakfast and Press-Briefing at the Museo ning Angeles as a “kick-off “ ceremony to the start of Fiestang Kuliat 2000.

III.7. October 6,2000. “Pasibayu Tig-tig la ding Cumpana !” (Again, the Bells will Toll!) Concert In The Park activity to celebrate the re-commissioning of the church bells. This will coincide with the opening of the “ Tau” exhibit of the Pampanga Arts Guild at the first floor galleries of the Museo along with the “Cinco de Noviembre” travelling exhibit on loan from the Negros Museum on the display at the Museo Lobby, also opening, will be the “ Ing Kusinang Matua” ( The Kitchen of Yore) exhibit at the Audio-Visual room on the ground floor.

III.8. October 7,2000. City-Wide Bagius Parade 2000 in co-ordination with the Angeles City Local Government. Along with the “Pamangan” Food-Fest at the Bale Herencia function hall with the specialties of the many local restaurants of Angeles available.

III. 9. October 11,2000. Mutya ning Angeles Pre-Pageant to be held at Fontana Leisure Estates Club House. Featuring this year’s choices to represent the city of Angeles in all major beauty competitions.

III.10. (TENTATIVE!!!)October 13,2000. Revival of Capampangan culture night to be held at Museo Open-Air Theatre.

III.11.October 14,2000. “Konsyerto ng Kababaihan” (Concert for Women) organized by the Gender and Development Council of the City Mayor’s Office. To be held at the Museo Open-Air Theatre.

III.12. October 21,2000. Mutya ning Angeles Proclamation Night. The coronation of this year’s winners of the Mutya ning Angeles 2000 search. Also to be held at the Fontana Leisure Estates in Clark Field.

III.13. October 27-28,2000. “Tigtigan, Terakan keng Dalan” the much-awaited annual event, organized this year in co-ordination with the Angeles City “Culiat” Jaycees and the Sangguning Kabataan Federation of Angeles.

III.14. December 8,2000. “Pascu- Na” Christmas Story exhibit at the ground floor galleries of the Museo ning Angeles.

III.15. Year 2001. Traditional Capampangan Customs and Traditions exhibits.
a. “Pyalung Tamu” games we played as children.
b. Religious Traditions- Processions , “Oracion”, kissing of elder’s hands,etc.

IV. Human Resources Development:

IV.1. July 16, 17, 24 and 25,1999. Four-day course on Museology held at Fontana Leisure Estates the first weekend and later at Bale Herencia. Attended by a majority of the Trustees of the Foundation, KFI Secretariat Officer Dan M. Santos and staff of the Minalin and Clark Development Corporation (CDC) Museums. Facilitated by Ms. Ana Labrador and her colleagues of the University of the Philippines Center for Museum Studies.

IV. 2. May 22- 26 ,2000. Philippine Association of Museums Incorporated (PAMI) Seminar/Workshop of “Museums on Cultural Education” attended by Museo Director Jiji Paras, Trustee Macrina L. Moreno and Museo staff Ody Luciano

IV.3. August 4,5 and 6. Out-of-town Study-Tour of Museums in Bacolod City and Silay City in Negros province. Participated in by KFI Pres. Ely Narciso, Trustees Macrina L. Moreno, Carmen T. McTavish, Museo Director Jiji Paras and both KFI and Museo Staff members, Dan Santos and Ody Luciano, respectively.

V. FUND RAISING for the Foundation and Museo ning Angeles Re-construction Projects:

V.1. Contributions of ‘Seed Money’ from the Board of Trustees.
As per agreed in the Board of Trustees meeting of March 4, 1999. Each founding Trustee agreed to provide a definite amount of funds as a means of starting the projects of the Foundation.

V.2. Proceeds from previous and future Fiestang Kuliat projects.

Proceeds from the 1994 Fiestang Kuliat fund–raising projects of then Chair, Mrs. Josie D. Henson, the 1997 Fiestang Kuliat proceeds from then Mayor Ed Pamintuan, the 1998 Fiestang Kuliat Proceeds of then Chair, Mrs. Carmen T. McTavish and the 1999 Fiestang Kuliat Proceeds of then Chair, Mrs. Eloisa R. Narciso have been deposited into the Kuliat Foundation Savings and Checking and Time-Deposit accounts.

V.3. Proceeds from the 1999 Los Angeles Bazaar Fund Raiser.
Spearheaded by Trustees Carmen T. McTavish, Hannah Y. Bauzon and Ramona Lopez Ty a Picnic-Bazaar was held with the Los Angeles, U.S.A. based Angelenos in which local Angeleno products brought by the Trustees were sold, a raffle for prizes to be claimed here in Angeles was held and donations were solicited outright. All proceeds were placed in a MetroBank U.S. Dollar Account.

V.4. Sponsorship of Museo/KFI projects by major organizations.
Solicitation Letters for specific projects are sent out to major and local companies, corporations, individuals, other foundations and National Government organizations catering to Museum related interests.

V.5. Patronage of Museo ning Angeles major projects.
Individualized letters are sent to affluent local citizens who wish to be “Patrons” of the Museo ning Angeles and eventually become part of its permanent Guest List, and, for some, to be part of the “Hall of Fame” for having made Angeles City the progressive city that it is.

V.6. Museo- Shoppe revenues.
The KFI Secretariat has co-ordinated with manufacturers of local products to have those same products sold on consignment at the Museo-Shoppe, these include works from local artists and artisans, locally made products of indigenous material, books and visitor’s guides.




(Free Show)

(A Good Friday procession featuring ca. 1830
religious carriages or floats)

(Art workshop for kids ages 5-18)
Front Gumulis 8

June 12
(Pamintuan Mansion)

Independence Day

(Kapampangan Poetry Competition)

(A Christmas Lantern & Procession Competition)
Lubenas 4

Museo Annual Activities
Museo Past and Present Exhibit and Events
Museo Sponsored Events


Literally out of the suitcase. called "History in a Suitcase," this portable exhibit features the Cinco de Noviembre Revolution of Negros Occidental as portrayed in dioramas encased in wooden suitcases. The Cinco de Noviembre Revolution is the first bloodless revolution that established the "Republica Cantonal de Negros" in Nov. 5, 1898.(The revolt is also the subject of an award winning children's
book published by the Museum.) Since 1999, this exhibit has toured the island, including other schools in the region, as well as Metro Manila.

Cinco de Noviembre
Cinco de Noviembre


ABEDAKEANTABE- The exhibit theme reflects the movement’s cultural and aesthetic advocacy as their contribution to the community in the celebration of Pampanga Day. As one of the exhibit highlights, the group shared their award winning artworks, from various national and international competitions.

Abe Dake Antabe with Mrs. Josie Henson
Abe Dake Antabe


An exhibition of architectural landmarks in the country. Entitled “Arkitekturang Filipino: Spaces and Places in History”, this national touring and lecture series highlights the historical and social contexts of Philippine architectural legacies, monuments and heritage sites.

Project proponents: *National Commission for Culture and the Arts
*Council of Deans and Heads of Architectural
Schools in the Philippines

Arkitekturang Pilipino
Arkitekturang Pilipino


The exhibits featured "Rizal on Stamps", a complete and educational presentation of genuine Philippine postage that features our national hero issued during the last ninety-six years (1906-2001) and, “Philippine and World Banknotes”, a comprehensive presentation of genuine and facsimile banknotes used in our country since 1854, and an almost complete collection of all genuine world banknotes from over one hundred ninety countries and issuing states.

Proponents: Mr. Jorge H. Cuyugan & Mr. Nelson Suba

Bank Notes Exhibit
Bank Notes Exhibit


The Pope John Paul II pictorial and philatelic exhibit featured various photos and quotations from our beloved Pope John Paul II, as well as genuine stamps depicting his Holiness issued by foreign postal administrations commemorating his visits during his 25-year reign as Pontiff.

Proponent: Bureau of Posts, Guagua Rural Bank

Philatelic Exhibit
Philatelic Exhibit


Museo ning Angeles played host on October 2007 to Fundación Santiago’s 9th traveling exhibition, Lines Across Times, as its contribution to the month-long Fiestang Kuliat celebration of Angeles City

The three-module presentation boasts of visual information displays replete with Architectural plans and photographs from the Archivo Historico Militar, the Archivo General de Indias, the Servicio Historico Militar and other Spanish archival institutions where primary materials were sourced by Madrid-based Fundacion Mapfre. Interactive kiosks and learning kit created by Fundación and the University of the Philippines’ College of Architecture are among the multimedia activities guaranteed to engage teachers, students, architects, urban planners, and heritage enthusiasts.

PROPONENT: Fundación Santiago

Lines Across Times
Lines Across Times


Pol Galvez
Pol Galvez





KULIAT FOUNDATION INCORPORATED was formed in March 1999 to serve as a vehicle to preserve the rich history, culture and tradition of the Angeleños.

Our province, Pampanga, has always been regarded as the gourmet province of the Philippines.

Generally speaking, Pampangas produced more exotic, imaginative and fancy foods, including a wide variety of pastries and confections that set them apart from their neighbors.

As progress marches on, have almost forgotten the art and heart of traditional preparation of meals; the tradition passed to us by our Kapampangan forbearers.

Recognizing that food and its preparation are as much cultural and historical art as are painting, architecture, sculpting and such, Kuliat Foundation, Incorporated have developed a plan to establish a Culinary Museum in the Philippines, at the Museo ning Angeles building, to preserve and perpetuate the traditional Kapampangan culinary arts.

This project involves

 Live kitchen for cooking classes and food demos;

 Exhibits of the old kitchen including variety of cooking implements;

 Turn of the century dining room; and

 A culinary library that will benefit students, food enthusiasts, mothers and the general public.

This facility will be the first culinary museum in the Philippines, possibly the first in Asia.


The design of a museum (a) dedicated to Kapampangan culinary art and science in particular and (b) with extensive interest in Philippine food history in general, is developed from the basic concept that food preparation is a heritage and a legacy worth preserving, not only by exhibit or collection but most importantly, by continuous practice of this living tradition.

This is an idea that has been taken far more seriously in the Kapampangan Region like Pampanga, than in any other parts of the Philippine archipelago.

In food and in cooking, the presently existing Museo ning Angeles aims to reconstruct itself, from a common place history and lifestyle community museum to an innovative culinary center that is to become known for the depth of its research, extensive and engaging nature of its collection and its interactive service like cooking demonstration and documentation on Kampampangan vis-à-vis with the regional and international cuisine practice.


 To keep and perpetuate the traditional Kapampangan culinary arts.

 To pass on to succeeding generations, the tradition passed to us by our Kapampangan forebears;

 To draw national and international interest to our Kapampangan culinary heritage.


To serve as the area for regular lectures on food, cooking demos, product demos, cooking classes, tasting sessions, interactive activities.

An exhibit of the turn of the century kitchen and dining for the illustrado family that includes various collections of old kitchen utensils and heirloom kept collections.

This section will house the collection of cookbooks and books and articles written by food writers. It will be a research and information center.


 To further renovate the existing old building back to its circa 1920 architectural glory.

 To acquire modern kitchen equipment for the live cooking demos e.g. gas ranges, chillers, freezers, boilers, pressure cookers, ovens, pots, pans etc.

 To acquire multimedia equipment, (projectors, audio-video apparatus, computer sets) and other museum furnishing (chairs and tables, tableau, platforms, cabinets, vertical organizers etc.) needed to fit the following venues for interactive activity, displays, in the kitchen demonstrations, lectures, and audio visual presentations.

 To acquire a collection of old and current ethnographical materials and archeological artifacts e.g. cooking utensils and other kitchen implements.

 To acquire a few pieces of turn-of-the-century dining, kitchen furniture and cooking implements for exhibit purposes.

 To acquire a comprehensive collection of cookbooks and history related books on food.


The province of Pampanga has always been regarded as the gourmet province of the Philippines. In general, they produced more exotic, creative and labor intensive cuisine, that includes a wide variety of pastries that distinctly set them apart from other regions. The Pampango cuisine reputation back a long history during the Spanish colonial times. In the early days, the recipes were kept secret by the proverbial selfishness of cooks. In time, the culinary heritage were passed on to Kapampangan kitchens.

But as progress marches on, people migrated to fast food outlets and dine-in restaurants. As this evolution continues, people have almost forgotten the culinary tradition passed to us by our Kapampangan forebears.

Thus, recognizing that food and its preparation are cultural and historical art, Kuliat Foundation Inc. have developed a plan to establish the CULINARIUM at the Museo ning Angeles (Old City hall Building, Angeles City) to preserve and perpetuate the Kapampangan culinary arts. The facility will be the first culinary museum in the Philippines and possibly in Asia.

The CULINARIUM will have three sections, A LIVING KITCHEN, To serve as the area for regular lectures on food, cooking demos, product demos, cooking classes, tasting sessions, interactive activities; OLD DINING AND KITCHEN EXHIBIT, an exhibit of the turn of the century kitchen and dining for the illustrado family that includes various collections of old kitchen utensils and heirloom kept collections; and the CULINARY LIBRARY section that will house

the collection of cook books, culinary related books and articles written by food writers. It will be a research and information center

This coming October, coinciding with the Angeles Fiesta month, the Kuliat Foundation Inc. will hold a soft launch of the CULINARIUM. Along side will be the inauguration of one of its section, the Culinary Library, A grateful acknowledgment is extended to Mr. Ronnie Alejandro for donating his collection of culinary books, magazines and other printed materials, that tremendously helped the CULINARIUM to start its library

Manila born, New York based Reynaldo Gamboa Alejandro learned how to cook from his grandmother. The first Filipino graduate of the New York Restaurant School, he is the author of several books including Philippine Cookbook, Flavors of Asia, Restaurant Design, Philippine Hospitality, Classic Menu of the New York Public Library, Specialty Food Packaging Design, Food of the Philippines, Recipe Book of Filipino Cuisine and Lamesa: The Philippine Table. A former curator of the New York Public Library’s Culinary Collection, he was food director of the Food and Wine Institute. A member of the Culinary Historians of New York, he has a catering service in Manhattan and has lectured on Filipino Cuisine in Europe and in the United States.

Kuliat Foundation is encouraging the food afficionados and also its patrons to donate items like turn of the century kitchen and dining furniture, cooking implements, artworks, culinary books and materials. Pledges may be given on its soft launch to be held on October 6, 2007 9a.m. at the Museo ning Angeles building.


Floor Plan
Floor Plan
Floor Plan


Adoracion S. Tayag
Carmen T. McTavish
Claude S. Tayag
Cook Culinary Lifestyle Magazine
Food Magazine
Ronnie G. Alejandro
ANVIL Publishing Inc.

Launching of Culinarium October 06, 2007

Heritage Sites

Sto. Rosario St. corner Lacan Dula St. Angeles City

This house was constructed in 1860 by a Spanish Agustinian Friar named Padre Guillermo Gomez Masnou, O.S.A., who was then the parish priest of Angeles. When he was transferred to Spain in 1877, the house became the property of his mistress-Doña Patricia Mercado of Sto. Tomas, Pampanga with whom he had six children.

When Doña Patricia died in 1900, the house was inherited by a daughter-Doña Maria Teodora Gomez who was married to Don Filomeno Santos. She was more popularly known as Doña Mariquita and before the Philippine Revolution of 1896, she opened up a catechism school at the ground floor.

In 1901, the same ground floor was rented briefly as the first public school of American “THOMASITE” teachers - Mr. John W. Osborn and Miss Marion Huff.

When Doña Mariquita died in 1954, the house was inherited by her eldest son – Mr. Francisco G. Santos who later used a room at the second floor as his office for his insurance and first automobile dealership in town. He also leased out the ground floor as office space for the Bureau of Land Transportation.

Upon his death in 1965, the house was inherited by his son – Mr. Francisco “PAQUITING” Santos, Jr.

In 1986, ‘PAQUITING” sold the structure to Mr. JOSE G. PARAS, JR. for a considerable amount. Mr. Paras immediately undertook the restoration of the old edifice and brought it back to its former glory. Presently, it is being used as a function hall for historical, cultural, artistic and other social activities.

THE “CAMALIG” – 1840
292 Sto. Rosario St., Angeles City

“CAMALIG” is Capampangan for granary. It was constructed in 1840 by the town founder’s son and the first town mayor of Angeles (1829) – DON CIRIACO de MIRANDA y DE JESUS. The “CAMALIG” was an adjunct storehouse to Don Ciriaco’s “BAHAY NA BATO” (stone house) that was erected nearby also in 1840. It was used to store rice grain and muscuvado sugar in heavy “PILONES” large, wide-mouthed clay jars) from the vast HACIENDAS” of Don Ciriaco. It continued to be used as a granary up to 1960 – a span of 120 years!

In 1973, Mr. Arnando Nepomuceno y Henson, a direct descendant of the De Mirandas had the bright idea of converting the “CAMALIG” into a unique “PIZZERIA” that was destined to be the FIRST in Capampangan history to create purely Capampangan PIZZAS dubbed as DOY’S DELIGHT which features slices of distinctively ‘CAPAMPANGAN LONGGANIZA” (local sausages), “EBUN A BURU” (salted duck eggs) with onions and pickle relish on a thin and crispy crust! Since then, up to the present, ARMANDO’S PIZZA of the “CAMALIG” continue to enjoy popularity with its DOY’S DELIGHT and other mouth-watering versions of pizzas.

Sto. Rosario St., Angeles City

This house was built in 1892, mostly of bamboo, sawali and nipa. It was constructed by Don Mariano Vicente y de Miranda, the grandson of the founder of Angeles, as a rest house of a sick son, Don Manuel.

In the late 1890’s, Don Julio Valenzuela – a Tagalog commercial photographer from Sta. Cruz, Manila, rented the ground floor as his first provincial photographic studio.

In August 1899, at the height of Philippine American War, the house was used as a barrack by the American invaders, who ripped-off all its sawali windows, attached wooden legs on them and used as sleeping cots.

In 1902, a son of Don Mariano – Don Jose P. Henson organized the first brass band of Angeles, which was put under the baton of Prof. Regino Hererra, who practiced in the house regularly. In 1909, the “BANDA DE ANGELES” won the First Prize in a competition at the Manila Carnival. The winning piece was “CREME DE LA CREME”
By Tobani.

The ownership of the house was transferred to Doña Carlota Concordia Henson y Leon Santos in 1909, a sister of Don Jose, when she married Don Jose Ma. Fermin Ganzon y Gonzales.

During the Japanese occupation, the house served as quarters for Japanese invasion forces in January 1942 and again as officers’ quarters of the Imperial Japanese Army from October 1944 to January 1945.

This house also served as the provincial art studio of Prof. Vicente Alvarez Dizon of the University of the Philippines College of Fine Arts and of Yale University, U.S.A., whose painting “AFTER THE DAY’S TOIL” won first place in 1939 at the Golden Gate International Exposition and World’s Fair in San Francisco, California. 79 countries participated in this IBM – sponsored painting competition, Salvador Dali of Spain won the second prize.

When Doña Carlota died in 1964, the house was inherited by her adopted daughter – Mrs. Ines Lutgarda Henson y Saide Vda. de Dizon. When she died in
_____ the “BALE CUAYAN” was inherited jointly by two of her children – Mr. Daniel Antonio Dizon y Henson and Mrs. Josefina Olegaria Dizon y Henson de Henson.

# 770 Sto. Rosario St., Angeles City

This house was constructed in 1824 by Angeles founder – Don Angel Pantaleon de Miranda, and his wife, Doña Rosalia de Jesus. Much of the wood came from their original house in Barrio Cutcut which they built in 1811.

In 1840, after their deaths, the house was inherited by their daughter - Doña Juana de Miranda who was married to Dr. Mariano Henson, LL.D. they bequeathed it to their son – Don Mariano Vicente Henson.

When Don Mariano died in 1917, the house was inherited by his son – Don Jose Pedro Henson. After his death in 1949, the house was inherited by his son – Don Vicente N. Henson who later bequeathed it to his daughter – Ms. Rosalie Henson who was married to Mr. Sergio T. Naguiat, Jr. and are the present occupants of the “BALE MATUA” ( Old House ) – a typical 19th century “ BAHAY NA BATO “ The Founder’s House is the oldest edifice in Angeles City.

Sto. Rosario St., Angeles City

Construction of this edifice began in 1877 on a parcel of land donated by a grandson of the town founder-Don Mariano Vicente Henson y Miranda and his wife, Doña Asuncion Leon Santos. The workers were residents of the town and were made to work under the Spanish Government’s “POLO y SERVICIOS” – a form of forced labor that required all native males, from ages 16 to 60, to perform manual work for free for 40 days each year and providing their own daily food. Also, for a period of almost 20 years during the construction period, all villages of Angeles were required to provide 200 chicken eggs a month per village, as a cohesive ingredient in the mortar mixture for “cementing” the stone blocks of the edifice. The stone blocks were individually hand-hewn and were quarried from Bo. Mancatian, Porac, Pampanga. The thick galvanized iron roofing was imported from England.

The church construction was initiated by the Spanish Agustinian parish priest M.R.P.F RAMÓN SARRIONANDIA, O.S.A., who hired a Spanish builder from Manila, an architect named Don Antonio de la Cámara. Don Antonio’s church design was Central European Romanesque and the height of the bell towers is 35 meters. The construction was completed on 12 February 1896 and at that time it was the tallest church building in the province of Pampanga. In 1897, Spanish soldiers used the church grounds at the back as execution area for condemned Filipino rebels.

During the Philippine Revolution, the belfries were used as watch towers by Filipino revolutionists, especially by Gen Venancio Concepcion in 1898 and by Gen. Antonio Luna and Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo in 1899. When the U.S. Amy Gen. Arthur MacArthur captured Angeles in August 1899, he converted the church into a military hospital. Again, the belfries served as watchtowers and GATLING machine guns were installed for added protection. The Americans finally vacated the church in 1904 and moved to Fort Stotsenburg in Bo. Sapangbato.

During World War II, in the early 1942, Japanese invasion forces briefly used the church as motor pool and garage. It also served as a stable for Japanese Army war horses.

At 9:30 a.m. on 07 January 1945, during a massive American Air raid on Japanese installations in Angeles, and Clark Field, An American “MITCHELL” B-25 bomber flew low over Angeles after being hit by Japanese anti aircraft cannons at Clark Field. Out of control, the smoking bomber plowed through the roof of the church then crashed into a big fireball in front of the Holy Angel Academy nearby, killing it’s entire crew of six. The ill-fated bomber, named “SAG HARBOR EXPRESS” was piloted by a 2nd Lt. Arthur P Browngardt, Jr., a native of Sag Harbor, Long Island, New York, U.S.A.

Sto. Rosario St., Angeles City

The original structure was constructed around 1880 and was intended as the “CONVENTO” of the parish priest. It is connected to the base of the north belfry of the church, and the priest could enter the church through the doors in the first and second floors.

On august 15, 1918, the native parish priest, Rev., Fr. Juan Almario moved out of the “CONVENTO” because native Agustinian nuns converted it into the “COLEGIO DE SAGRADA FAMILIA”, coming from a smaller school building beside the church built for them in 1910. This move was due to a bigger enrolment. The parish priest was provided with a new residential house as his “CONVENTO” on what is now Funeraria Angelina. The Agustinian nuns were still using the Spanish language as their medium of instruction and using Spanish books.

In the early 1920’s, the Bureau of Education mandated that English become the medium of instruction in all school levels nationwide. Since the Agustinian nuns knew no English, newly arrived Benedictine German nuns who spoke English fluently took over the school and renamed it HOLY FAMILY ACADEMY on 15 June 1922.

Around 1934, the Benedictine nuns hired a local architect-builder and had the school renovated and had a new façade design. The Angeleño architect was Mr. Teofisto Ganzon y Aquino – a nephew of Gen. Servillano Aquino.

In early January 1942, during the opening days of the Japanese land invasion, Imperial Japanese Army Troops briefly used the school as barracks. Again, in late January 1945, an Imperial Japanese Army Tank Battalion known as the “YANAGIMOTO BUTAI” made the school as Command Post, before attacking the American liberation forces invading Clark Field.

In 1989, the HOLY FAMILY ACADEMY inaugurated its high school annex at Brgy,. Cutcut, due to a bulging school population.

Sto. Rosario St., Angeles City

The “DEPOSITO” (warehouse) was constructed in 1899 by Don Jose Pedro Henson y Leon Santos – a great grandson of the town’s founder. The building was used as a depository of costly silver-gilt religious floats and statues of Jesus and other saints +owned by the Henson clan, in between the town’s several religious festival processions.

In August 1899, at the height of the Philippine-American War, when the Americans captured Angeles, the “DEPOSITO” was commandeered by the U.S. Army and converted it as a military jail for errant U.S. soldiers.

It was in this building that the then notorious U.S. Army ex-soldier, Pvt. George A. Raymond, was jailed after his capture and while he was on trial by a U.S. Military Commission. He was later found guilty of murder, robbery and rape, and was sentenced to death by hanging. Minutes before he was executed in public at the Angeles Town Square at Bo. Talimunduc ( now Brgy. Lourdes Sur ), Pvt. Raymond requested to be baptized in the Roman Catholic faith. The then town parish priest, Padre Vicente Lapus climbed up the gallows and baptized the condemned man which he named “DIMAS” ( St. Dimas ) in honor of the biblical Good Thief who stole heaven at the last moment of his earthly life. Pvt. Raymond was destined to be the first and last American in the Philippines to be executed in public. He was hanged at afternoon on 27 Sept. 19901.

In 1904 the Americans vacated the “ DEPOSITO” having moved to Camp Stotsenburg in Bo. Sapangbato, Angeles , Pampanga.

From 1945 to 1946, during the American Liberation of the Philippines, the U.S. Army 11th Film Exchange rented the building.

From 1947 to 1953 the U.S. Army 1129th Military Police Co. used the building as its town jail.

From 1954 to 1965 the 13th U.S. Air Force used it as its town jail, or the 13th Air Force Police Sub-Station.

From 1967 to 1978 the building was rented by the Bureau of Post as the Angeles Post Office.

From 1989 to present, the owner – Mrs. Evansuida Nepomuceno y Henson Vda. de Lim gave permission to his son, Dr. Roy Lim, M.D. to convert the “DEPOSITO” into the Angeles City Rehabilitation Center - the first physical therapy clinic in the City.

Suggested itinerary for Heritage tour of Angeles City

10:00am - 11:am
(The seat of the short lived Philippine Independence where the First Anniversary of our Independence was celebrated)

11:00am - 12noon
(A center that promotes Kapampangan heritage and culture)

12:00 - 2:00pm
(built in 1860 by carpenters from Ilocos Sur. Due to its colonial ambiance, it has become the favorite venue for many occasions)


2:00pm – 2:30pm
(The oldest structure and the best preserved ancestral house in the city)

2:30pm – 3:00pm
(Built in 1922, it was formerly the old City hall, it was converted to a Museum that showcases the history, lifestyle and culture of the Angelenos. It would soon house the first culinary museum in the Philippines.

3:00pm – 4:30pm Halo Halo buffet at Claude Tayag’s House (optional)

4:30pm - 5:00pm
(Constructed in 1877 to 1896, was used by the US army as a military hospital in 1899 to 1900)

5:00pm – 5:30pm
CAMALIG (old grain house built in 1840)

5:30pm – 6:00pm Pasalubong Shopping

Contact Us

Old Municipio, Sto. Rosario St.
Angeles City, Phils. 2009

(63) 045-887-4703
(63) 045-889-8847 (63) 045-889-3232
E-Mail Address:

WEB Site:

Museo Ning Angeles
Location Map of Museo ning Angeles